Saturday, May 21, 2011

A little something to brighten your day...

RAINBOW CUPCAKES!

I was asked to make cupcakes for Zekie's friend, G's 3rd birthday party. The party had no theme so I got to make the call as to what to bake. I'd been wanting to try out the "colorburst cupcake" that I've seen on the 'net for years and this was my chance. G's favorite color happens to be pink so I ditched the traditional rainbow colors for something that would flow with pink. I went with a vanilla cupcake, although I'm sure you could do yellow or coconut or lemon or anything light colored.

Here's the batter, seperated in bowls, ready for color gel. DO NOT USE LIQUID FOOD COLORING (that stuff is nasty).
Photobucket

All colored up and ready for layering
Photobucket

Okay so I forgot to take a picture of the actual layering process but you just take a spoonful and spread it with your finger (dipped in water). Repeat with all 5 colors. When baked they should come out looking something like this...
Photobucket
Okay, so mine don't look that great. I got tired at the end and didn't spread all the way over like I should have.

Once you top it with frosting, no one can tell ;)
Photobucket

And here's the birthday boy enjoying his cupcake. Happy 3rd Birthday G!
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. These are soo cool! I would've freaked when I was a little kid if I had cupcakes like these. I might try to make these for Izzy's birthday this year, since I think she would love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo.... perhaps for Quinn's birthday, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may possibly make these for sisters birthday in all the fun, halloween-y colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to keep that in mind about the Halloween colors! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete